I got this recipe from a friend. I make these often and take them to many potlucks, office parties, the cottage, picnics, children's lunch and the list goes on.
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced peeled firm tart apples (such as Spy, Granny Smith)
- cinnamon could be added to the batter ( about 1 teaspoon or less).
- Topping: In a small bowl toss together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; set aside.
- Muffins: In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda and salt.
- Stir oil mixture into flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in apples, mixing just until combined.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups filling 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle topping over evenly.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and tops spring back.