- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on (the skin is important for flavour, and is so tasty to eat!)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and bruised
- 1 small hot chili pepper, slit open, seeds removed
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over a high heat.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove any scum that rises to the surface.
- Increase the heat, turning the drumsticks frequently in the liquid, and cook until the liquid has reduced to a sticky glaze.
- Arrange the chicken on a serving platter, remove the garlic clove and chili from the liquid, and spoon the glaze over.
- NOTE It's a glaze rather than a sauce, so there's not a whole lot of it.