These are also known as Corn Dogs, but our school and church term for them are Pronto Pups.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 24 hot dogs (can use Soy, Chicken, Beef, any type of hotdog)
- 24 wooden skewers
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and sugar.
- Add milk until batter has a pancake type consistency (Too much milk, and batter wont stay on hot dogs, too little and your batter when fried will be cracked).
- Dry off hot dogs with paper towels, coat with flour, and skewer through the center of the corndog.
- Heat 2" deep oil to 370 degrees F.
- Dip skewered hot dogs into batter mix and coat evenly.
- Fry until golden brown about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Let cool and drain on a paper towel.
- With left over batter drop like dumplings into the oil until golden brown and drain.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard tarter sauce or a dressing of your choosing.